We recognise that mobile phones and MP3 players are part of modern everyday society and that many parents like their child to carry their phone with them for safety reasons and/or ease of contact.
However, we are also aware that these items can be disruptive to learning or the smooth running of the school. We, therefore, wish to ensure that mobile phones and MP3 players are not used in a negative way.
The school permits these items to be brought to school provided that the student and parent agree to uphold the rules below. Otherwise, phones and MP3 players are forbidden. Students are responsible for the safe-keeping of their phones/MP3 players in school unless this is handed in to a member of staff. Our advice is to always have a good, impact resistant case and to only have the phone out when it is securely protected, for example when sitting down, out of the way and not in a group. For phones of a higher value, we would recommend that parents purchase insurance as the phones are easy to drop at any time, including outside of school.
Mobile Phone Requirements
- Phones and MP3 must be switched off and hidden from view at times during the school day before 3.20pm (except when they are used under supervision or in the Sixth Form only areas).
- In Years 7 to 11 phones must NEVER be used to make or receive phone calls, or use text or messaging facilities, at any time during the school day (before 3.20pm); this includes break and lunchtime. Sixth Formers may use their phones in the Sixth Form areas. If parents wish to contact their child as a matter of urgency, they should telephone the school and a member of the Administration Team will ensure the message is passed on.
- Phones and MP3 players must NEVER be used in lessons or during lesson changeover, without the express permission of the teacher. Headphones must be put away at the start of the school day.
- Phones must not be used to take pictures or videos at any time when in school or on a school activity.
- The contents of phones and MP3 players must be suitable for viewing at school; there must be nothing on them that students would be embarrassed for staff in the school to see. Bringing a phone or MP3 player to school means accepting that staff may ask to see contents should there be any concerns.
- Phones must NEVER be used for any act of unkindness.
- If a member of staff asks for a phone because it is used inappropriately, it must be handed over immediately and without argument.
- Smart watches (eg Apple Watch) are not allowed in school; they are a distraction and unnecessary.
Parents are asked to agree to these simple rules on their son/daughter's enrolment form. Where agreement is not given we will assume that a phone/mp3 player or tablet will not be brought in to school.
Failure to comply with these simple rules will result in the phone being confiscated until the end of the school day. The Pastoral Team will decide what further actions is needed to ensure there is no repeat. However, if there are repeats then the school may confiscate overnight or for longer periods. These will be kept in the school safe and parents will be informed.