Opportunities to mentor Lower School students are regularly promoted in the Sixth Form. Students provide subject support within the classroom, meet with those who have individual needs to offer them guidance and coach students in extra-curricular activities, such as in sports clubs, music workshops and drama productions.
Both students benefit from the arrangement, with the Sixth Form student enhancing their communication, planning and evaluative skills – and how to be patient and adapt to different situations.
Sixth Form students can mentor students in a variety of ways, including:
- reading workshops
- language assistance
- supporting good attitudes to learning
- supporting literacy and numeracy
- supporting music development
- helping to create friendships
- resolving conflicts
- building self-esteem and confidence
- supporting the PE department with coaching
- supporting the Drama department with school productions.